Author Topic: IMAX’s absurd attempt to censor Ars  (Read 1060 times)

MunkiLord

• Attack: 40
    Defense: 44
    Attack Member
IMAX’s absurd attempt to censor Ars
« on: June 19, 2015, 10:10:11 AM »
IMAX’s absurd attempt to censor Ars

Last week, Ars published a story about the newest version of SteamVR, a virtual reality system made by Valve Software. The piece includes interviews with game designers praising the new system as well as writer Sam Machkovech's own experience using SteamVR at Valve's office in Bellevue, Washington.

For VR enthusiasts, it was all good news—but the article got some surprising pushback.

On June 16, Ars Technica was contacted by IMAX Corporation. The company said our story required a retraction, because it included a brief reference to IMAX—included without IMAX's permission. "Any unauthorized use of our trademark is expressly forbidden," IMAX's Associate General Counsel G. Mary Ruby wrote in a letter (PDF).
The letter is surprising in several ways. First of all, the article isn't about IMAX. The single reference to IMAX in the story is a quote from Denny Unger, a Canadian game designer interviewed by Machkovech. Unger praised SteamVR as "the missing piece we'd all been waiting for," and he went on to predict it could take off with consumers despite the fact that the room-sized VR system takes up a lot of space. "It’s like saying, 'I have an IMAX theater in my house,'" Unger told Machkovech. "It’s so much better that we can get away with a cumbersome setup."

more at link

Between this and the mediocre IMAX screen that is closest to me(not that close), I don't see myself giving IMAX my money again.

MunkiLord

• Attack: 40
    Defense: 44
    Attack Member
Re: IMAX’s absurd attempt to censor Ars
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 03:18:47 PM »