Fyndhal

• SUPER BANNED
  • Veteran Poster
  • Attack: 158
    Defense: 139
    Attack Member
Sense8
« on: July 20, 2015, 02:40:22 PM »
I've been watching this Netflix series over the last few days and wanted to share my thoughts on it. For those who are unaware, the series is helmed by J. Michael Straczynski and Lana and Andy Wachowski. That's a pretty good pedigree and the expectation would be a thought provoking action adventure Sci-Fi show.

The show follows a group of characters who are all linked via their senses -- what one feels, sees, hears, smells or tastes, the others may as well. They don't have a lot of control over this, at least in as far as I have seen through 10 episodes, so far. Instead, they appear to one another during times of need -- stress, loneliness, anger, what have you.

The overarching plot involves an evil group that hunts the Sensate "clusters" for nefarious purposes called The Whispers. Their leader appears to be an Uber-Sensate who can control other sensates simply by making eye contact with them.

I am currently ten episodes into the series. There are two episodes left and, so far, the "plot" is not engaging. The show is more a series of character explorations that are linked via this odd plot device. Some of the character stories are more interesting than others -- The story of Wolgang, the German criminal is more interesting to me than the story or Will, the Chicago cop, for instance; and some of the characters verge on the outright annoying, such as Riley the London DJ who is constantly depressed and depressing to watch.

The show has a *lot* of sex in it, including a rather extended "orgy" sequence in the middle of the series. I'd have thought the Wachowski's would have learned their lesson on this sort of thing from the backlash they received from the orgy sequence in the Matrix Reloaded (or was it Revolutions? I don't recall, really.) Of the eight sensates, one is a homosexual actor (who plays Macho Action Hero characters in Mexico) and one is a Transgender woman who is dating another woman. This results in a large percentage of the sex scenes being between two men or two women, which can get to be a bit old after a while. Certainly, it gets boring.

And that's really it, I think. The show has a number of things that *should* be exciting or interesting, but so much screen time is taken up with non-essentials that it's easy to lose track and simply wander off to do something else.

Another example, during episode 10, there is an extended sequence showing, in often graphic detail, the birth of each of the Sensate characters. This is accompanied by a marvellous Piano piece and, is timed, I think to take the length of the music. However, more than six and a half minutes of slow motion birth is too much. It ceases to be engaging and become overwrought, distended and cumbersome.

I have two more episodes to watch in the first season of this show and I'm not certain I'm looking forward to the experience. I've gotten this far, so I feel the need to finish it for "completeness" but I am not eagerly looking forward to getting home to begin the final journey.