Author Topic: For Discussion: Fixing Corporations  (Read 198 times)

Fyndhal

• SUPER BANNED
  • Veteran Poster
  • Attack: 158
    Defense: 139
    Attack Member
For Discussion: Fixing Corporations
« on: May 12, 2017, 02:40:06 PM »
For Discussion:

Many of the biggest problems facing the world can be traced back to Corporations and the way they operate. They are inherently sociopathic, in that they have no conscience and no social responsibility. They exist not to create goods or provide services; those are simply mechanisms they use to fulfill their purpose -- to show a profit.

That simple fact makes companies do things like break laws because it is cheaper to pay the fine than it is to properly handle waste or manipulate the energy market causing brown outs or rolling Black Outs.

So how do we fix that? How do we change Corporate Charters so that social responsibility is on par with showing a profit? How do we turn Corporations from being dangerous things if not controlled into something that is inherently beneficial? Is it even possible?

My thought, and it is far from perfect, is as follows:

"A Corporation which is Fined by any set of Government entities three times within a fiscal year shall be considered to be in violation of its Charter and mandatorily disbanded."

Obviously, questions of corruption, manipulation by competitors and what happens to corporate infrastructure after mandatory disbandment would need to be addressed, but that's the core thought.

Opinions?

MunkiLord

• Attack: 40
    Defense: 44
    Attack Member
Re: For Discussion: Fixing Corporations
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 02:59:34 PM »
I'm not opposed to that in theory, but in practice breaking up a bunch of huge corporations like that may be a logistical nightmare.

I'm in favor of less protections for the people actually running the corporations. Make it easier to sue a CEO and Board of Directors and go after their personal assets for a corporation's misdeeds and they won't find it so easy to ignore the law.

Fyndhal

• SUPER BANNED
  • Veteran Poster
  • Attack: 158
    Defense: 139
    Attack Member
Re: For Discussion: Fixing Corporations
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 03:25:09 PM »
That just leads to scapegoats and fallguys. Proving that a given individual is "responsible" for something in a corporate hierarchy is difficult at best. I prefer to make the corporation, itself, responsible in the only way that it could matter.