Author Topic: Something You've Done  (Read 316 times)

Fyndhal

• SUPER BANNED
  • Veteran Poster
  • Attack: 158
    Defense: 139
    Attack Member
Something You've Done
« on: July 05, 2017, 04:41:06 PM »
What's something you've done that you're fairly confident you're the only person on my friends list who has done it?

Escheresque

• Veteran Poster
  • Attack: 96
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
Re: Something You've Done
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 08:48:57 PM »
Been registered as a legal weapon.

Fyndhal

• SUPER BANNED
  • Veteran Poster
    Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 01:54:27 AM »
I've gotta hear this story!

Escheresque

• Veteran Poster
    Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 06:22:02 PM »
I've gotta hear this story!

I'm half-joking when I say that. There's no actual way to register someone as a deadly weapon, but I still have the habit of espousing that myth for fun when I wanna bring up this particularly unique fact about me. What I should have said was:

I am a second dan* black belt in Taekwondo.

Still pretty cool right? It's been years since I've trained, but I still get to say that cuz I still have the belt and the training licenses (even though they're probably expired shhh).  I can't really remember any of the poomsae (forms), but I can slip pretty well back into the right stances for moves. I even broke a brick with my hand for my first dan* test. 

*dan is the correct word for what most people would call degrees. In reality though, degrees are levels within the black belt dans. So you can be a 1st dan, 3rd degree black belt.

Fyndhal

• SUPER BANNED
  • Veteran Poster
    Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 08:40:40 PM »
That's pretty damn cool! Why did you stop training? Back injury?

dumps

• Veteran Poster
  • Attack: 106
    Defense: 112
    Attack Member
  • Turing Test Failure
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 12:10:09 PM »
I suffered defeat in combat, at the hands of a monk, on top of a volcano.  In my defense, he misled me, surprised me, and was a lot stronger than he looked.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.  If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened.  But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

Fyndhal

• SUPER BANNED
  • Veteran Poster
    Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 03:36:19 PM »
I suffered defeat in combat, at the hands of a monk, on top of a volcano.  In my defense, he misled me, surprised me, and was a lot stronger than he looked.

Why were you on top of a volcano and why did the Monk have it in for you?

dumps

• Veteran Poster
    Attack Member
  • Turing Test Failure
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 08:59:01 AM »
The volcano was Mt. Fuji.  I was in the gift shop.  The monk is in there, or maybe he just hides--like maybe he's not actually part of the experience, maybe he's just an asshole monk that lurks in the gift shop.  He has a staff, like a cudgel, covered in bells.  He waves and taps people with it and says some sort of blessing.  A bunch of us were filing past him...except when he got to me, he just started beating me with the staff.  It left marks.  True story.  Mount Fuji is crazy beautiful, but that silly old man hurts.  I've also sailed on Lake Ashi, and taken the cable car up Mount Hakone and then hiked to the top.  And another mountain that escapes me at the moment.  I've hung out in Harajuku, hiked in Shibuya, shopped in Ropongi hills.  I've seen stuff.  Beautiful country, beautiful people.  I ate at Gonpachi--which is the setting of the "house of blue leaves" massacre in Kill Bill.  I zig-zagged all over Tokyo visiting shrines, hunted spirit animals, and just taking it all in.  I certainly learned enough Japanese to get myself into trouble.  It was a criminally short trip, but I'll probably never make it back again.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.  If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened.  But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

Escheresque

• Veteran Poster
    Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 01:43:21 PM »
That's pretty damn cool! Why did you stop training? Back injury?

Actually no, I trained in junior high so it's been...11 years now. The transition into high school and joining band meant I had a lot less time and my teach was trying to get me to lead classes more which spiked what I now know is my anxiety so I quit.

I've also been to South Korea, which was a uniquely fun experience that most people don't get. I miss it there. Dumps got me all nostalgic for it, damn.

Fyndhal

• SUPER BANNED
  • Veteran Poster
    Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 01:53:32 PM »
I've never been to Japan or South Korea. Those both sound like exciting trips!

I'd love to know why the old monk start whacking you with his stick though!

dumps

• Veteran Poster
    Attack Member
  • Turing Test Failure
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 02:17:28 PM »
Deep bruises.  Everyone talks about how adorable he was to this day, but man he could have played for MLB.  That was a great trip.  And I ended up having to give a speech at the wedding to the entire family.  Woo!

I also studied ecology in Yellowstone for a few weeks one year.  So I've been to two different famous volcanoes. 

Marcian Tobay

• Administrator
  • Attack: 31
    Defense: 28
    Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 06:55:10 PM »
Had a painting of myself as an assassin made. It's now hanging in our hallway.
Want free video games? Join the giveaway!

dumps

• Veteran Poster
    Attack Member
  • Turing Test Failure
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 09:41:56 PM »
Ridden horses bareback, in the ocean.  That's a good one, even though it was awful.

I guess I've tracked wolves in Yellowstone, recreationally.   I've tracked small small mammals in national wildlife refuges academically.  I've inventoried bat roosts.  I'm speaking at a conference this fall on wetland dynamics and engineering. 

Fyndhal

• SUPER BANNED
  • Veteran Poster
    Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 04:29:55 PM »
Ridden horses bareback, in the ocean.  That's a good one, even though it was awful.

I guess I've tracked wolves in Yellowstone, recreationally.   I've tracked small small mammals in national wildlife refuges academically.  I've inventoried bat roosts.  I'm speaking at a conference this fall on wetland dynamics and engineering.

You lead a ridiculously interesting life compared to mine.

Escheresque

• Veteran Poster
    Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 01:49:54 PM »

You lead a ridiculously interesting life compared to mine.

I need dumps to tell us more