Author Topic: Faete Premise  (Read 126 times)

Marcian Tobay

• Administrator
  • Attack: 31
    Defense: 28
    Attack Member
Faete Premise
« on: July 12, 2017, 03:35:30 PM »
So here's the general idea for Faete, gathered here in one spot for discussion:

Setting: Faete takes place in a fairy tale world of fae, angels, virtue, and horror. The Fae Forest was once beautiful, but now it is run by the sadistic and mischievous Fae. Each year, they demand the citizens of the nearby village face their supernatural and daunting challenges to prove their worth. If they win, the village is safe from the Fae's wrath for a year. If they fail, they are forever trapped in the forest.

Players take the role of the villagers that are meeting this year's challenge. The enemies they face are a mixture of the horrible pets of the Fae, the trapped souls of former villagers, and the many other nightmares therein.

Mechanical Concepts: Faete is a Co-Operative strategy game with a heavy emphasis on balancing danger with personal choice. The game takes place on a randomly generated board comprised of hex tiles that are initially facedown and gradually revealed during gameplay. As players explore the forest, they will find different tiles necessary to win the game, enemies that oppose them, and other tests of a players' skill and strategy. Players will need to, as a team, decide what challenges to face, when, and how.

As an example of this, players are tasked with completing a set number of challenges, but the game places extra challenge tiles on the table, allowing players to decide which ones they face. Do they accept the challenge to kill 5 monsters, or the challenge to sacrifice a combined 10 Health? If they are fighting monsters, which ones on the board do they face? Who do they send to fight them? Alternatively, if they choose to sacrifice the health, which players are prepared to take that loss?

Faete is designed to be a discussion of personal choice, teamwork, and strategy in their roles on the path to success.

Thoughts?
Want free video games? Join the giveaway!

Fyndhal

• SUPER BANNED
  • Veteran Poster
  • Attack: 158
    Defense: 139
    Attack Member
Re: Faete Premise
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 12:39:26 AM »
That sounds like a fantasticly fun game. It's the first time I've seen the actual premise; previously it was just "concept" and artwork. That said, it sounds great. As the players complete challenges, are there rewards? Are the rewards, if they exist, enough to offset the attrition that accrues during Challenges? Or do the characters get stronger/weaker as they go through? If they weaken (via accrued damage/loss of resources, etc.) the best course is to choose the hardest challenges first and then work your way to easiest. If they grow stronger, then the optimal choice is to choose easy challenges then tackle the harder ones after you've gotten some rewards. Either way, you should have some challenges that are deceptive in their apparent difficulty -- killing 5 monsters, but one monster teleports away (and shuffles challenges when doing so) for instance?

Anyway, I'm super excited for you. This sounds excellent!

Marcian Tobay

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 12:04:40 AM »
Your post inspired me to make a video explaining the core concepts of Faete. It also spawned a conversation with my fiancee which, in turn, resulted in my agreeing to write a rule book. The video should come out this week, if I can swing it.

Marcian Tobay

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 12:11:04 AM »
That sounds like a fantasticly fun game. It's the first time I've seen the actual premise; previously it was just "concept" and artwork. That said, it sounds great. As the players complete challenges, are there rewards? Are the rewards, if they exist, enough to offset the attrition that accrues during Challenges? Or do the characters get stronger/weaker as they go through? If they weaken (via accrued damage/loss of resources, etc.) the best course is to choose the hardest challenges first and then work your way to easiest. If they grow stronger, then the optimal choice is to choose easy challenges then tackle the harder ones after you've gotten some rewards. Either way, you should have some challenges that are deceptive in their apparent difficulty -- killing 5 monsters, but one monster teleports away (and shuffles challenges when doing so) for instance?

Anyway, I'm super excited for you. This sounds excellent!

When you complete a challenge, there is no immediate reward beyond "You're that much closer to completing the game". Characters will get stronger by gaining new items but, presumably, grow weaker by taking damage throughout the game.

A teleporting monster is a GREAT idea. I'll see if I can make it work.

Each game, there are tiles that heal and tiles that give you items, but the costs for them are different each game. You may draw the tile that says "Spend 3 health to get an item" or the one that says "Spend one defeated Monster token". As such, the paths to strength and success are different each game, with the value of a defeated monster fluctuating based on this randomized "market value".

The goal is to force the players to adapt dynamically to each game rather than having a "best strategy". A game where the challenge involves discarding gained items will have a very different strategy than a game that involves you sacrificing Health points or a one where the challenge is that a "Boss Fight" Monster Spawns.

It's also worth noting that monsters "Hunt" each turn. At the end of a turn, they move one space closer to the nearest person. If they land on a person, they do the Hunt effect below, which is often but not always damage. They can also be disorienting rug-pulls like "lose items" or "monsters spawn" or "all other monsters heal"... maybe even "All other monsters get a +1 Damage Counter". This in itself should affect discussions of priorities and whcih monsters to attack first. I really wanted to come up with critters that spawn table debate about which is the strongest and what the priority is. :)