Author Topic: Privilege?  (Read 19 times)

Fyndhal

• SUPER BANNED
  • Veteran Poster
  • Attack: 158
    Defense: 139
    Attack Member
Privilege?
« on: October 10, 2017, 02:45:37 PM »
The problem with "Privilege" discussions is it is the wrong word. It makes people defensive because they see all their disadvantages and their "privileges" are really what should be baseline "Normal."

Being able to walk down the street without being harassed isn't a privilege.

Being able to get on an airplane without having the other passengers look at your worriedly isn't a privilege.

Being able to go to work and not have to worry about your coworkers harassing you isn't a privilege.

Those should all be the norm, and for far too many people, it isn't.

Escheresque

• Veteran Poster
  • Attack: 96
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
Re: Privilege?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 05:52:25 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly with this. I admit calling it privilege has always bothered me, but in a way it makes sense. The people we're calling privilege don't even realize that their benefits aren't actually benefits. They're normal.

They have the privilege of the baseline being their normal while everyone else is treated sub-optimally (sub-human). 

The ones being mistreated don't get to be considered even worth what a basic life experience should be like.

Because these "normal" life experiences are withheld from so many people based on factors they can't control, only a select group of people are getting to experience what should be the baseline, whether they realize they are a part of this group or not.

At that point, it's not longer the overall baseline. Being treated like a normal human being is a special privilege granted at birth that no one gets to realize they have. It's only that group's baseline, not the standard baseline, and that's what a privilege is.

Fyndhal

• SUPER BANNED
  • Veteran Poster
  • Attack: 158
    Defense: 139
    Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 09:06:54 PM »
I understand the mechanics of the term Privilege. But the very fact that it takes 3-4 paragraphs to explain it means that most people simply won't listen to arguments. They react to the word used that has seriously negative connotations in this circumstance.

That's the problem I can't solve.

Escheresque

• Veteran Poster
  • Attack: 96
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 03:32:56 PM »
Unfortunately, I have no idea how to make people listen. In my experience, people aren't willing to actually hear what I have to say.