Author Topic: Happy Holidays!  (Read 152 times)

dumps

• Veteran Poster
  • Attack: 106
    Defense: 112
    Attack Member
  • Turing Test Failure, Kinsey Scale Bingo
Re: Happy Holidays!
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 08:44:16 AM »
The City has enacted a special ordinance to mass tow abandoned vehicles, and rented road graders to peel hard packed snow and ice off the streets.  We only got about four inches last night, just fluffy stuff.  My van's one sliding door has frozen open, so I have to bungie it shut.
"Not queer like gay. Queer like, escaping definition. Queer like some sort of fluidity and limitlessness at once. Queer like a freedom too strange to be conquered. Queer like the fearlessness to imagine what love can look like…and pursue it." Brandon Wint

Escheresque

• Veteran Poster
  • Attack: 96
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Unashamedly nerdy, egregiously witty
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 08:14:10 PM »
I hope you realize you essentially live in a fictional world to me.

Doctor Foorums

• Administrator
  • Attack: 3
    Defense: 0
    Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 09:10:44 AM »
Honestly, it sounds like a made-up hellscape to me, too, and I'm in Canada.

dumps

• Veteran Poster
    Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 10:49:31 PM »
I was discussing something along those very lines with a colleague on Thursday.  I said, more or less, that pictures were worthless because everything was white and there was no sense of scale.  And also, that all the stories I could tell of things I had seen just sounded absolutely ludicrous.  Like...which sounds less surreal: an army of unicorns, or people tying ropes to their snowblowers so they could haul them up onto their roofs, and then witnessing people using snowblowers on the roofs of their houses and buildings?
"Not queer like gay. Queer like, escaping definition. Queer like some sort of fluidity and limitlessness at once. Queer like a freedom too strange to be conquered. Queer like the fearlessness to imagine what love can look like…and pursue it." Brandon Wint

Doctor Foorums

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 09:48:36 PM »
I saw a cube van driving down the highway with about two feet of snow still packed on top of it. This truly is a cursed winter.

dumps

• Veteran Poster
    Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2018, 08:50:53 AM »
Couple more inches of snow today, but mostly freezing rain on everything, with blustery wind.  Next few days are calling for a thaw, will be interesting to see what happens.

dumps

• Veteran Poster
    Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 09:11:19 PM »
Well, freezing rain all day and the ice is moving.  No fatalities yet.
http://www.goerie.com/news/20180108/massive-chunk-of-ice-pins-man-at-erie-residence

Escheresque

• Veteran Poster
  • Attack: 96
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Unashamedly nerdy, egregiously witty
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 02:43:13 AM »
Ooh! Ooh! We got rain today! It was exciting =D

dumps

• Veteran Poster
    Attack Member
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 03:49:32 PM »
It snowed!  We are up to 133 inches.  Then it rained and iced, and will be weird again tomorrow.

Doctor Foorums

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2018, 06:34:40 PM »
So when it was -22C last week, I discovered my windshield pump freezes up and doesn't work! That was fun.

dumps

• Veteran Poster
    Attack Member
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 08:54:42 AM »
Ugh, that is awful, Foo!

Melt is proceeding rapidly here, minor flooding everywhere and a number of phone calls about ice dams on creeks.  Warm again today, with rain.  My neighbor contacted me yesterday to say that the gutters were off my house, and the power lines were down.  Raced home, an ice dam had formed on the east side of my house.  The ice ripped the gutters off the house, shooting some ice chunks laterally like in Christmas Vacation, with the rest collapsing downwards tearing some of the soffet, fascia, and siding off.  It ripped the electrical service off the house, and tore the cable lines off the utility pole at the back of the property.  Just big chunks of ice all over the place, and water pouring everywhere.  Checked the basement for water, and began triaging.  There have been a number of structural collapses in town, including the indoor soccer parks where my nephews play.  Hopefully the falling ice didn't damage anything else.  It would've killed anyone near it, I am glad no windows were broken.  Took Penelec seven hours to get service back to the house.  I've got Spectrum coming over today to reconnect the cable.  Other contractors (siding, gutters, electric) are delayed due to similar problems throughout the area.  My electrician said that he reconnected service to fourteen houses yesterday alone, and that I'll be waiting until customers with outages are restored. 

A cubic foot of water weighs about 62.4 pounds.  I estimated the width and depth of the ice dam to have been two feet by one foot, and that section of the house has a 30 foot roof line.  That results a total ice weight on that section to be 1.7 standard tons of weight.  Or, the weight of an adult full grown walrus falling off my roof.

dumps

• Veteran Poster
    Attack Member
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2018, 08:56:35 AM »
Electric and internet are restored.  No estimate on repairs to siding and gutters.  High temperatures have absolutely nuked most areas of snow.  Only a few mountains are left.  It is nearly sixty degrees out right now, with rain.  The birds are happy.  The temperature will drop to around ten degrees during an absolute downpour, today.  They are anticipating ice accumulation up to a half inch, followed by "heavy, heavy snow."  Everything is shutting down early, for shelter-in-place.  Very good chance we will break snowiest winter in recorded history this weekend.