Author Topic: Happy Holidays!  (Read 1860 times)

dumps

• Veteran Poster
  • Attack: 106
    Defense: 112
    Attack Member
  • Turing Test Failure, Kinsey Scale Bingo
Re: Happy Holidays!
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2018, 08:22:27 AM »
Melt, snow, melt, snow.  Melt this week.  Had lots of water in the basement yesterday--with the gutters down, the water is just pouring down the side of the house.  Electric work was about $300, siding estimate is $900.  Might have to get an estimate for sealing a portion of the basement.  I've done a ton of water-proofing down there on my own, but the section of brick that is giving me problems is behind a stairwell.  I can't get to it without ripping out the stairs.  Probably will try and find a sheet of water-proofing beadboard to slide behind the stairs, and connect to my existing indoor French system.

How's you?  Probably still cold?  The lake keeps us warmer than most places--but since the cold snap froze the lake up pretty quick, we really haven't had much snow since the big blow.
"Not queer like gay. Queer like, escaping definition. Queer like some sort of fluidity and limitlessness at once. Queer like a freedom too strange to be conquered. Queer like the fearlessness to imagine what love can look like…and pursue it." Brandon Wint

Doctor Foorums

• Administrator
  • Attack: 3
    Defense: 0
    Attack Member
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2018, 10:47:33 PM »
We're doing pretty well. It was nice as heck last week and it's snowing fairly heavily right now.

Re: waterproofing, it sounds like you need to somehow seal the outside of the house to stop the water getting in? Is that how the French system works?

dumps

• Veteran Poster
    Attack Member
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2018, 08:50:48 AM »
French system is installed on the inside, to intercept water working its way through the foundation.  My driveway is immediately adjacent to my house on that side.  I was fortunate that I chose last summer to rip everything out of the crack and re-waterproof the entire thing...but I'm sure it was just working its way under the driveway slab or through cement itself. 

It's just a perfect storm, with that being the only section of the basement I can't drylock.  Thawed earlier this week, five inches of new snow this morning.
"Not queer like gay. Queer like, escaping definition. Queer like some sort of fluidity and limitlessness at once. Queer like a freedom too strange to be conquered. Queer like the fearlessness to imagine what love can look like…and pursue it." Brandon Wint

Doctor Foorums

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2018, 09:23:57 PM »
SNOWWWWW :(

dumps

• Veteran Poster
    Attack Member
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2018, 09:01:54 AM »
Thawed the other day, probably about six inches this morning with frozen rain underneath. 

We were four inches away from a new record last week, so this should tip us over. 

dumps

• Veteran Poster
    Attack Member
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2018, 11:04:35 AM »
Well we had a good rip-roarer in town last night.  Winds up to 50+mph with freezing rain and snow.  We've had a prolonged thaw, so this was both overdue and a shock to some folks.  Lots of thundersnow and freezing rain meant icing everywhere.  We lost two screens--they just tore out of the windows.  Lots of trees and powerlines down, traffic lights out.

http://www.goerie.com/news/20180301/more-than-20000-erie-county-penelec-customers-without-power

Feels like spring!

Doctor Foorums

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2018, 10:14:14 AM »
Yeah, the warm spell lasted just long enough for me to believe an early spring might be real.

Then the sky shat white on that dream.

dumps

• Veteran Poster
    Attack Member

Fyndhal

• SUPER BANNED
  • Veteran Poster
  • Attack: 158
    Defense: 139
    Attack Member
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2018, 07:39:13 PM »

dumps

• Veteran Poster
    Attack Member
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2018, 01:35:38 PM »
Well, here we are, and nothing happened.  The storm that was supposed to come, missed.  So unfulfilling.

Doctor Foorums

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2018, 08:20:48 AM »
I very much prefer not getting the spring super storm