Author Topic: Jupiter Ascending is a Flop...and why that is even worse than it sounds  (Read 2023 times)

Fyndhal

• SUPER BANNED
  • Veteran Poster
  • Attack: 158
    Defense: 139
    Attack Member
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/jupiter-ascending-flop-wachowskis-failure-1201427887/

Be careful what you wish for.

Originality is a virtue in most creative pursuits, but in Hollywood, it will always be less appealing to studio bosses than more of the same. Audiences and critics often decry the sequels and franchises that flood multiplexes, but when filmmakers like the Wachowskis answer their calls for something original and innovative with a film like “Jupiter Ascending,” they’re often rewarded with a cold shoulder. With a production budget of $179 million, not to mention tens of millions spent to promote the science-fiction adventure, and an opening of only $19 million, “Jupiter Ascending” will likely be one of the year’s biggest flops.

Marcian Tobay

• Administrator
  • Attack: 31
    Defense: 28
    Attack Member
Re: Jupiter Ascending is a Flop...and why that is even worse than it sounds
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 02:02:00 PM »
This is really frustrating. My girlfriend and I saw it this weekend and, while it is definitely deeply flawed, it is also immensely enjoyable and possessing of a creativity not seen in a long time. I absolutely loved it and wanted a full ongoing series.

Both for the movie itself and the general idea that truly original I.P.'s won't be given a chance, I am disappointed.
Want free video games? Join the giveaway!

ManofManyChars

• Global Moderator
  • Attack: 9994
    Defense: 9993
    Attack Member
  • The man, the myth, the legend.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 02:40:29 PM »
Hope for a Director's Cut that follows the Wachowskis' original vision for the film instead of the suits' vision of what will get beer-swilling, Michael Bay-loving, Real American asses into the seats, because that would probably be a movie well worth watching. Once again, marketing has ruined art.
"Don't call it a comeback, I been here for years, rockin' my peers and puttin' suckas in fear."
-Ernest Hemingway

Doctor Foorums

• Administrator
  • Attack: 3
    Defense: 0
    Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 02:59:04 PM »
Everything I've read about this movie indicates that it is just a shambles, like a plate of plot spaghetti.

Marcian Tobay

• Administrator
  • Attack: 31
    Defense: 28
    Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 03:08:03 PM »
It kind of really is. But the spaghetti still tastes awesome :D
Want free video games? Join the giveaway!

MunkiLord

• Attack: 40
    Defense: 44
    Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 05:06:16 PM »
I don't think this is really going to be that big a deal in the end. Perhaps the Wachowskis aren't quite as genius as the writer believes. Avatar did great as a new IP, so there is proof there is money to be made with the right idea and correct writers/directors to fulfill that vision.