Author Topic: Why Twitter is Dangerous  (Read 803 times)

Fyndhal

• SUPER BANNED
  • Veteran Poster
  • Attack: 158
    Defense: 139
    Attack Member
Why Twitter is Dangerous
« on: February 16, 2015, 10:11:01 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/magazine/how-one-stupid-tweet-ruined-justine-saccos-life.html

As she made the long journey from New York to South Africa, to visit family during the holidays in 2013, Justine Sacco, 30 years old and the senior director of corporate communications at IAC, began tweeting acerbic little jokes about the indignities of travel. There was one about a fellow passenger on the flight from John F. Kennedy International Airport:

“ ‘Weird German Dude: You’re in First Class. It’s 2014. Get some deodorant.’ — Inner monologue as I inhale BO. Thank God for pharmaceuticals.”

Then, during her layover at Heathrow:

“Chilly — cucumber sandwiches — bad teeth. Back in London!”

And on Dec. 20, before the final leg of her trip to Cape Town:

“Going to Africa. Hope I don’t get AIDS. Just kidding. I’m white!”

She chuckled to herself as she pressed send on this last one, then wandered around Heathrow’s international terminal for half an hour, sporadically checking her phone. No one replied, which didn’t surprise her. She had only 170 Twitter followers.

MunkiLord

• Attack: 40
    Defense: 44
    Attack Member
Re: Why Twitter is Dangerous
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 11:24:54 AM »
Excellent article. I really haven't ever considered the other side of these things. I remember when this tweet started getting attention, but I mostly ignored it. I didn't realize it was such a big deal.

Also, Gawker. Of course Gawker.

ManofManyChars

• Global Moderator
  • Attack: 9994
    Defense: 9993
    Attack Member
  • The man, the myth, the legend.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 11:45:51 PM »
This really serves as a lesson in why you should consider the audience when making a joke. If you wouldn't say it on national television, you shouldn't say it on the internet, because that's the level of availability it will have. Greater, even. I don't have a lot of sympathy for people that post racist (or otherwise unacceptable) comments on Twitter and then act shocked when their lives are ruined as a result. While the glee experienced by many in watching their downfall is a tad ghoulish, their sad fates are merely the logical consequence of saying something wildly inappropriate in a public venue.
"Don't call it a comeback, I been here for years, rockin' my peers and puttin' suckas in fear."
-Ernest Hemingway

HorrorCowboy

• Attack: 81
    Defense: 45
    Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 04:38:36 PM »
I've only ever seen twitter to be dangerous, 140 characters isn't enough to get your point across, specifically in a joke, or something socially, or politically important. It's what got Colbert in trouble cause his tweet lacked to context of his whole joke. Just use twitter for, Like totes at Starbucks, and your quotes you think make you sound deep when you are not, like "Life is a Destination."
" I have seen shit that'll turn you white! " Winston Zeddmore

ManofManyChars

• Global Moderator
  • Attack: 9994
    Defense: 9993
    Attack Member
  • The man, the myth, the legend.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 07:01:05 PM »
I've only ever seen twitter to be dangerous, 140 characters isn't enough to get your point across, specifically in a joke, or something socially, or politically important. It's what got Colbert in trouble cause his tweet lacked to context of his whole joke. Just use twitter for, Like totes at Starbucks, and your quotes you think make you sound deep when you are not, like "Life is a Destination."

Well, to be fair, it wasn't Stephen Colbert who posted that Tweet to begin with, it was some dork who worked for Comedy Central and was running the Colbert Report Twitter account. Stephen only ever posted to Stephen@Home.
"Don't call it a comeback, I been here for years, rockin' my peers and puttin' suckas in fear."
-Ernest Hemingway