Author Topic: Pillars of Eternity  (Read 903 times)

MunkiLord

• Attack: 40
    Defense: 44
    Attack Member
Pillars of Eternity
« on: March 30, 2015, 12:39:44 AM »
This is the first game I've pre-ordered since Aliens: Colonial Marines(that one burned) and I must say it is worth every single penny so far. For those of you not aware of this game, it is an Infinity Engine style cRPG. Think Baldur's Gate 1&2, Planescape, Icewind Dale, etc. It was developed by Obsidian(Fallout: New Vegas, South Park The Stick of Truth) and published by Paradox.

I'm just a bit into Act 2 at the moment and I'm loving this game. Challenging real time with pause combat, fun companions, fantastic writing, and the story is starting to really hook me. If you're looking for an RPG to sink dozens of hours into, I highly recommend Pillars of Eternity.

Here is PC Gamer's review: http://www.pcgamer.com/pillars-of-eternity-review/

I'm expecting Polygon and more of the big name sites to have more reviews out soon. Though most of them have already stated this is a must play. Get it.

Anyone else playing this yet? If so, what are your thoughts? No spoilers please!

MunkiLord

Attack Member
Re: Pillars of Eternity
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 01:03:00 AM »
After starting this I am really tempted to go ahead and purchase Baldur's Gate so it is ready when I'm done with Pillars. Between Divinity: Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, and Wasteland 2 it has been quite an awesome year for RPGs. I'm in Heaven.

Fyndhal

• SUPER BANNED
  • Veteran Poster
  • Attack: 158
    Defense: 139
    Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 09:06:13 AM »
I couldn't get into Divinity. I played less than an hour.

Pillars of Eternity is quite good though. I finally got to play a good stretch of it yesterday. I restarted because one thing and another, I completely lost what I was doing in the first game. This was a wise choice because I found several things I'd missed first pass (The TAB key is so helpful!) I completed Act I and am now exploring Defiance Bay.

This is me!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 07:23:48 PM by Fyndhal »

MunkiLord

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 11:09:41 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I just read about a major big though. Don't double click on items to equip them because it will permanently remove all your passive and racial buffs. Obsidian has a fix in the works.

MunkiLord

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 12:37:48 AM »
The more I play this, the more I'm starting to really buy into this world. I'm enjoying the companions, the politics, all of it. Top notch game.

Fyndhal

• SUPER BANNED
  • Veteran Poster
    Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 09:18:34 AM »
Same. I'm really enjoying Durance's storyline, too. This guy...whew, man. At least I understand why he refers to his Goddess as a whore, now!

MunkiLord

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 12:17:06 PM »
Durance is awesome. Besides Priests just being badasses in this game, he cracks me up. My character is a Paladin, which I like. But now I have two since I just recruited Pallegina. I like her so far and want to keep her in my party, but I don't want two Paladins.

Fyndhal

• SUPER BANNED
  • Veteran Poster
    Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 06:43:19 PM »
I finished my first game of PoE about a week ago. It was an abrupt finish - once you enter the 4th act, you can't go back any longer. So, I missed a bunch of things. Sad...

I restarted, this time as a rogue. I decided to abuse the interrupt mechanic, so I'm dual wielding fast weapons and wearing the lightest possible weapons. I attack so fast, it's silly. So far, the character is a bit fragile, but once I hit level 6, things should really click into place. Oh...I'm playing on super hard difficulty, meaning extra mobs and extra stats on those mobs in ever encounter. It's kinda brutal! But, I'm still enjoying it.

Doctor Foorums

• Administrator
  • Attack: 3
    Defense: 0
    Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 01:55:06 PM »
I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to really get into this or Wasteland 2. They're just sitting there! :(

MunkiLord

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 03:29:41 PM »
Both great. But at this point you might as well wait until Wasteland 2's big update comes in a few months. They are adding a perk system, upgraded engine, better combat, and a few other things. No official release date, all we know is this summer. Wasteland 2 was my favorite game last year, I'll be playing it again when the update comes out.

Doctor Foorums

• Administrator
  • Attack: 3
    Defense: 0
    Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 11:04:33 PM »
I am intensely shit at this game and I don't know why. I just don't understand how it works for some reason, despite playing so many old D&D games.

Escheresque

• Veteran Poster
  • Attack: 96
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Unashamedly nerdy, egregiously witty
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 08:48:56 PM »
I want to get back to this game. I started it up at a time when my back injury wouldn't let me sit up for more than half an hour and so I never got very far and that made me supremely upset. I should make restarting it my celebration for moving once I get into my new place.