Author Topic: About this Section  (Read 987 times)

Marcian Tobay

• Administrator
  • Attack: 31
    Defense: 28
    Attack Member
About this Section
« on: February 06, 2015, 04:13:10 PM »
All of us want to discuss politics, society, religion, and the touchy things. We get that. We want people to have that.

This being said, these sections can be... tricky. Things get heated, words get said, puppies get kicked. So let me be clear here: Geekronomicon's rule above all else is the comfort and happiness of our forum goers. If this section reaches a point that it becomes more toxic than it's worth, it will be deleted/archived/banished.

Toxicity would include everything from excessive fighting to drawing in people that like to troll.

Thanks.
Want free video games? Join the giveaway!

ManofManyChars

• Global Moderator
  • Attack: 9994
    Defense: 9993
    Attack Member
  • The man, the myth, the legend.
Re: About this Section
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 05:14:01 PM »
Here are some helpful guidelines to keep you from attracting the ire of the mods in the event that you find yourself debating the issues with someone(s):

No cheerleading: Don't try to shut down a debate. Popular examples include "Don't listen to him, he's crazy," "Everyone else agrees with me," and "Yeah, this guy has it right." I'm also going to give special mention to those oh-so-clever individuals who like to come into a heated debate with "lol everyone's wrong, believing in things is dumb, you shouldn't take anything seriously". Don't do that.

No Parting shots: Don't announce that you're leaving or done arguing because everyone else is wrong and dumb. Suck it up and leave with dignity or stick around and try to prove everyone else is dumb. Of the two, I highly recommend the former.

Effort Being Met with No Effort Is Bad: If someone puts a lot of effort into a post or rebuttal, don't disregard it without good reason. This is subject to a lot of interpretation. Note that "long-ass post" does not necessarily equal "effortpost".

No grudges: I don't want to see fights from one thread or subforum migrating to another. If you don't like someone, there's this little feature called the Ignore List you can use.

No slapfights: If the thread has devolved mostly to two people just yelling at each other, it's time to stop. I don't want to have to come in and break it up.

Remember, if Bill Nye and Ken Ham can keep it civil, so can you.
"Don't call it a comeback, I been here for years, rockin' my peers and puttin' suckas in fear."
-Ernest Hemingway

Doctor Foorums

• Administrator
  • Attack: 3
    Defense: 0
    Attack Member
Re: About this Section
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 07:05:59 PM »
Your face is civil.

Seriously, be nice, people.